[rt-users] e-mail requestors preauthentication?

Michael Bravo mike.bravo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:30:42 EDT 2009

Hello,

I am considering an installation of RT, however, I am faced with a somewhat
non-standard (or not well publicly documented) use case. The support
systems/queues to be implemented are not intended to be used by just anyone,
but only by paid customers. And while authenticating customers who use web
interface is more or less an easy process (and well documented), I am
concerned with the e-mail interface. Ideally, I would like to only create
ticket if a special pre-issued code is included in the request e-mail; all
others should be politely replied-to but without ticket creation. The codes
are present in an easily queried SQL database.

I have browsed and searched through mailing list archives, but didn't manage
to turn up anything similar. In the documentation,
LookupSenderInExternalDatabase<http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/LookupSenderInExternalDatabase>looks
promising but lacks any explanations; also, the
*RT-Extension-ExtractCustomFieldValues*<http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/dist/RT-Extension-ExtractCustomFieldValues>extension
looks like something which neatly fits into the idea. However,
being an RT beginner, I am a bit stumped as to how to fit it all together to
achieve the desired behaviour.

Perhaps I am not the first RT user who needed to implement non-public
support queue with an e-mail, or someone has implemented a similar system.
Any useful advice and/or pointers to information, examples and manuals would
be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
--
Michael Bravo