[rt-users] Tickets with Owner= (no value)

Ken Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Wed Jun 3 13:44:20 EDT 2009

Alberto,

    If you removed the owners of a ticket by removing those user records
from the USERS Table, then you will NEVER find those owners, nor will
you be able to change the owner on those tickets that point to the
removed UserId. The reason is that RT has several Tables that are
updated when a Ticket gets an owner. RT cannot replace an owner on a
ticket if it can't find the old one. RT tries to find the old one so it
can remove him from group membership in the "owner" role for that
ticket. This is just one reason why it is NEVER a good idea to remove a
User from the DataBase manually.
    The problem now is that you have several tickets that have an ID in
the owner field that points to a User record that does /not/ exist. VERY
BAD! If you take a look at the history for any of those tickets, you
will see that the history display stops with an error when it tries to
find that (removed) UserId to show when they became an owner.
    I'm not sure if Ruslan or any of the other RT gurus have any
recovery SQL that you can use. If they do not, I have some SQL code that
will do the job, but it will be a process of steps for EACH User you
removed from the DataBase. If no one from RT can help you with this,
then let me know and I'll send you my SQL code/process and explain it to
you so you can fix your DataBase.

Kenn
LBNL