[rt-users] RT not sending email

Bill Cole rtusers-20090205 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Feb 2 00:15:46 EST 2010

Jonathan Rummel wrote, On 1/28/10 11:51 AM:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> I am currently having this same problem.  Did you ever figure it out?
>
> Thanks so much!
> Jonathan
>

> Andreas Heinlein-2 wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need your help debugging RTs mail system.
>>
>> I have had RT send emails successfully when replying to or creating new
>> tickets. As such, the mail system is working. I have fiddled with the
>> global scrips to invoke some more mails, i.e. on owner change. But now
>> somehow, RT does not send any mail at all.
>>
>> I am not sure if this has to do with the scrips at all. In any case,
>> when you reply to a ticket, no recipients are shown at the bottom (Below
>> "...mail will be sent to the following users..."), and no mail is sent
>> on reply. Dito when entering someone as Cc: or AdminCc: for a ticket,
>> both for the whole ticket and one-time when replying. In all cases, RT
>> claims "Outgoing message recorded" after saving changes, but the ticket
>> display does not show any outgoing mail (I have the "ShowOutgoingMail"
>> right).
>>
>>  From the mail server logs I can see that no attempt to send mail is
>> done. From syslog, I see "RT::User::CanonicalizeEmailAddress called with
>> "" from RT::Ticket". I checked the user account settings, and alle users
>> have valid working mail addresses associated with them.

Likely root causes when you've 'fiddled' with a scrip that is now failing to
send mail is an error in the scrip or in the mail template that it uses, if
you've changed that as well. In either case you can get an error logged that
may well be technically correct, but isn't obviously indicative of the real
flaw. In this case, the fact that CanonicalizeEmailAddress is being called
with an empty string as an argument may not indicate that an actual user
record lacks an address, but rather that the scrip or template has mangled
the email address in a User object, perhaps by something as simple as using
'=' somewhere that '==' was intended.