[rt-users] Projects, groups, users, and priveledges

SEINER Yan yseiner at ci.springfield.or.us
Wed Feb 3 15:41:55 EST 2010

I'm just starting out with RT; I used it many years ago but I've forgotten just about everything...

We want to set up a small pilot to see if it will work for our needs.

We have:

Departments
Projects
Users

We need to be able to set up security so that a user from a specific department can only have access to tickets from specific projects.  In other words, assume projects 1, 2, and 3, users Steve, Joe, and Bob, and Maintenance, Engineering, and Design.

Bob is working on projects 1 and 2, Steve on projects 1 and 3, and Joe on 2 and 3.  Bob needs to see all Design, Engineering, and Maintenance tickets that pertain to his projects, but he must not see any tickets at all for project 3.  Steve can only see tickets for Maintenance on his two projects, and occasionally maintenance tickets for 2.  Joe needs to see all tickets for Design regardless of project, but only Engineering tickets for his two projects, and none for Maintenance.

I seem to be short a category in RT as it only has users and groups, and not sub-groups or projects.  Is anything like this possible?

Or is the trick to set up groups for both projects and departments, and then assign membership in both?  But then is it possible to require tickets so that a user needs to be a member of 2 groups in order to see the ticket?

Yan Seiner, PE
Civil Engineer
[cid:image003.jpg at 01CAA4CE.44870CC0]Environmental Services Division<http://www.ci.springfield.or.us/ESD/index.htm>
City of Springfield Public Works
225 Fifth Street, Springfield, Oregon 97477
Metropolitan Wastewater Management Commission (MWMC)
Tel: 541-736-7124