[rt-users] User Database empty?

Joop JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Fri Jul 23 02:52:05 EDT 2010

Max Bern wrote:
> I think the reason why the 'make' commands do not work to install
> 3.8.8 is that CentOS doesn't use that command. The big problem here is
> that we are trying to install RT on a remote CentOS box with only the
> terminal to work with. We have been trying to install RT on this box
> for the entire week, have gotten nothing but problems, and now we are
> hopelessly confused. If someone could point me to an install tutorial
> for CentOS5 and RT 3.8.8 it would make my week.
As Thomas already told you need to get started by downloading the source
tar.gz from bestpractical.com
Then you'll need to make sure that you have a working compiler (gcc) +
assorted utilities to compile all needed modules (make and friends). A
normal Centos install should these have installed but you can check
with: yum info gcc make binutils
The output is info per package and the line with Repo in it should read
'Installed' and maybe there is also a Repo: base then that means there
is a update available in the repository 'base'.

Then read the README again and start.
cd into the unpacked source directory
Make sure you add the correct parameters to you're configure command,
do: ./configure --help to see all possibilities
fix any problems spotted by configure if needed.
make testdeps
( this will spit out a whole set of missing perl modules)
fix this with: make fixdeps
This will pull in all needed CPAN modules BUT beware that for some perl
modules you'll need to have the underlying developer headers and
libraries so install those with yum install abc-devel if needed. One
example is GD.
If all goes well you'll end up with all modules installed.
Edit /opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm to your needs
Edit httpd.conf to your needs
start httpd, login to RT

Thats about how I do it myself (using Centos5 and RT and Oracle)

Regards,

Joop