[rt-users] User Database empty?

Mike Johnson mike.johnson at nosm.ca
Fri Jul 23 08:55:01 EDT 2010

Max,

I just followed these instructions(but instead of doing the packaged 3.6, I
did the manual 3.8.8 install), and they worked fine, with some minor
troubleshooting throughout...

http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/CentOS5InstallGuide

Some things that I had to do that weren't in the manual, was a few perl-XXX
installs using yum(I don't recall exactly what).

If you do the 3.8.8 install with mysql, when you are doing the CPAN stuff
referenced in

http://www.ptitov.net/2008/07/request-tracker-installation-o.html

you have to look at the dependencies that CPAN says is missing, then I just
yum installed those(that's the perl-XXX where XXX was the rest of the name).

Also at the bottom of the page, I had to tinker with the way I set my apache
config to load RT... other than those few steps that aren't mentioned, the
guide is pretty damn good.

Good luck!
Mike.

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 2:52 AM, Joop <JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl> wrote:

>  Max Bern wrote:
>
>  I think the reason why the 'make' commands do not work to install 3.8.8
> is that CentOS doesn't use that command. The big problem here is that we are
> trying to install RT on a remote CentOS box with only the terminal to work
> with. We have been trying to install RT on this box for the entire week,
> have gotten nothing but problems, and now we are hopelessly confused. If
> someone could point me to an install tutorial for CentOS5 and RT 3.8.8 it
> would make my week.
>
> As Thomas already told you need to get started by downloading the source
> tar.gz from bestpractical.com
> Then you'll need to make sure that you have a working compiler (gcc) +
> assorted utilities to compile all needed modules (make and friends). A
> normal Centos install should these have installed but you can check with:
> yum info gcc make binutils
> The output is info per package and the line with Repo in it should read
> 'Installed' and maybe there is also a Repo: base then that means there is a
> update available in the repository 'base'.
>
> Then read the README again and start.
> cd into the unpacked source directory
> Make sure you add the correct parameters to you're configure command, do:
> ./configure --help to see all possibilities
> fix any problems spotted by configure if needed.
> make testdeps
> ( this will spit out a whole set of missing perl modules)
> fix this with: make fixdeps
> This will pull in all needed CPAN modules BUT beware that for some perl
> modules you'll need to have the underlying developer headers and libraries
> so install those with yum install abc-devel if needed. One example is GD.
> If all goes well you'll end up with all modules installed.
> Edit /opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm to your needs
> Edit httpd.conf to your needs
> start httpd, login to RT
>
> Thats about how I do it myself (using Centos5 and RT and Oracle)
>
> Regards,
>
> Joop

Mike Johnson
Datatel Programmer/Analyst