[rt-users] Install RT on Rackspace Cloud Server

Ben McLendon benm at barneshc.com
Tue Jul 27 14:42:14 EDT 2010

Good news!

Using the procedure located HERE<http://www.ptitov.net/2008/07/request-tracker-installation-o.html> I was successful in getting a bare install of RT 3.8.8 up and running on the Rackspace CloudServer.

Doing a bit of testing/tweaking now...  I'll get a image of the build so far and then try the data migration.

-=BEN=-

On Jul 27, 2010, at 11:05 AM, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 09:56:28AM -0500, Ben McLendon wrote:
We've made multiple attempts to install RT on a Cloud server (Centos 5.5) hosted at Rackspace with no success.  Our plan is two fold: move our current installation from our own internal server to the hosted one, and also upgrade from 3.6.3 to the latest stable version in the process.

Any ideas on the process in broad strokes or step-by-step would be greatly appreciated.

It would be useful if you could give some idea of where you fell down
so that we can provide some specific pointers. In general, the plan
would be like something like:

* configure new installation and test with test database
* shut down new installation and wipe out test database
* make sure that appropriate configuration changes have been made
* rtname and organization should match old system
* shut down current installation
* dump database to a file
* load database onto new server
* run database upgrade process on new server:
 rt-setup-database --action upgrade [..]
* start up new installation

You'd want to test that whole migration cycle before trying it for real,
ensuring that you don't accidentally send out mail to real users whilst
doing that stage of testing.

This assumes that no local modifications have been made to the old
system.

--
Dominic Hargreaves, Systems Development and Support Team