[rt-users] Help with "Correspond" condition

Kenneth Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 11 12:43:48 EDT 2010

Raed,

Thanks for responding. Yse, I do have a "return 1; in the Custom PRep area.
Actually, I have tried getting this to work with the code in one or the
other Custom Action areas. As an explanation of the context, I have not been
able to get CommanByMail to update a Custom Field defined as either "text"
or "Wikitext" if the content is over 76 or so characters. Apparantly, bith
Gmail and Thunderbird and perhaps others email providers embed a line break
character after that many characters and that causes a "line Break" in CBM
and I end up with only partial updates. So, being the stubborn person I am,
I got a perl guy to write some code I could put into a scrip that would
examine the content of an email, look for a define delimiter (like
"Description of Issue:") in the content and put everything after that
delimiter into the Custom Field. Make sense? It did to me. In fact, it works
perfectly when I set the condition to a Type = "Create" and message header =
"received". But on a Correspond (meaning an update email as opposed to a
create), it just doesn't seem to see the email at all. Nothing. Nada.
Well, anyway, here's the code:

# Setup initial values

my $trans = $self->TransactionObj;
my $ticket = $self->TicketObj;
my $cf_obj = RT::CustomField->new($RT::SystemUser);
my $cf_name = "Description";
my $cf_value = "Didn't work";
my $message = $ticket->Transactions->First->Content;
my $passed = 0;
my $content;
my $line;

# split up lines in content by line break

my @lines = split("\n", $message);

# walk thru @lines and find the description

foreach $line (@lines)
    {
     if  ($passed == 1)
         {
          if  ($content =~ m/^\n$/)
              {
               $content = $content.$line;
              }
          else
              {
               $content = $content."\n".$line;
              }
         }
     if  ($line =~ m/^Description of Issue:/)
         {
          $line =~ s/Description of Issue://;
          $content = $content."\n".$line;
          $passed = 1;
         }
    }

$cf_value = $content;

# set the value for CF Description

$cf_obj->LoadByName( Name => $cf_name );
$RT::Logger->debug( "Loaded \$cf_obj->Name = ". $cf_obj->Name() ."\n" );
$ticket->AddCustomFieldValue( Field=>$cf_obj, Value=>$cf_value,
RecordTransaction=>0 );

return 1;

Thanks for your help.

Kenn