[rt-users] RT Newbie: Inbound email by getmail fails at unknown rtuser

RT User myrtuser at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 05:03:42 EST 2011

All,

I'm installing RT 4.0.4 on Ubuntu 10.04 with AD integration. I can login to
RT web UI. I have run into a problem fetching emails using getmail.

Here is the problem,

<snip>
Delivery error (command rt-mailgate 19780 error (127, exec of command
rt-mailgate failed (no such specified user ('getpwnam(): name not found:
rtuser'))))
  msg  1/84 (1117 bytes) from <zenoss at xxx>, delivery error (command
rt-mailgate 19780 error (127, exec of command rt-mailgate failed (no such
specified user ('getpwnam(): name not found: rtuser'))))
</snip>

Here is my /opt/rt4/etc/getmailrc

<snip>
[retriever]
type = SimplePOP3Retriever
server = xxxxxxx.com
port = 110
username = xxxxx
password = xxxxx

[destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /opt/rt4/bin/rt-mailgate
user = rtuser
#group = rtgroup
arguments = ("--url", "http://xxxxxx.com", "--queue", "General",
"--action", "correspond",)

[options]
read_all = false
delete_after = 8
verbose = 2
</snip>

Here is how im invoking getmail,

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/getmail --rcfile /opt/rt4/etc/getmailrc

Looks like getmail is retrieving mails from the mailbox but unable to pass
that onto RT. I'm not sure where rtuser and rtgroup is to be created.

Is it a OS system user?
Is it an user in AD?
Is it an privileged user in RT?

I'm hoping once the user is created in the correct location, getmail will
populate RT -> Geberal queue

Thanks in advance,
Steve