[rt-users] RT Newbie: Inbound email by getmail fails at unknown rtuser

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Fri Dec 16 06:16:10 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 14:03, RT User <myrtuser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like getmail is retrieving mails from the mailbox but unable to pass
> that onto RT. I'm not sure where rtuser and rtgroup is to be created.

As far as I understand output, getmail fails to find rtuser in the
system. RT doesn't create such account. --with-bin-owner option in
configure script defaults to root. Files in bin dir are owned by this
account and group is set to value of --with-web-group option (default
www). If you don't want to getmail to run mailgate script as root then
use user account that is in www group. Most probably you have www user
in www group. It's also possible that this group is called apache,
httpd or something else.

> Is it a OS system user?

It's system user. As I understand it. getmail for security reasons
allows you to define system user and group to run commands under. You
start getmail as root, it inits itself and then switches to user/group
you defined. This lowers privileges of getmail and programs it
executes.

> Is it an user in AD?
> Is it an privileged user in RT?

This has nothing to do with AD and/or RT.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.