[rt-users] Setup RT with existing postfix on separate server

Donny Brooks dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us
Fri Mar 18 17:07:05 EDT 2011

On 3/17/2011 5:29 PM, Chris Herrmann wrote:

> Hi Donny,
>
> I'm not clear if we're using a similar type of setup to what you're
> referring to, but I'll fill in how we do it and hopefully it'll help
> you...
>
> We have:
>
> -RT box running exim. Exim is setup to smarthost through our front
> facing mail server, and to integrate with RT queue names. It has a
> local dnsname of hostname.faredge.com.au .
>
> -Qmail frontend server which is configured to forward any matching
> mails for the specific aliases to queuename at ourrtserver, and handles
> external mail. It also forwards any messages for exchange users to the
> exchange server.
>
> -An Exchange server which has contacts setup for each queue in
> question so that a message for "Queue" is correctly forwarded through
> to queuename at ourrtserver. The exchange domain is the local windows
> domain (as opposed to "faredge.com.au")
>
> It's a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but is in place
> mainly for historical reasons and as it works well so far there and
> hasn't introduced a huge overhead there's no great pressure to change it.
>
> So Donny, I'm not sure about the postfix side of what you're trying to
> do -- basically make sure you have aliases that relate to each queue
> that live at your RT server for example:
>
> donnysqueue at donnysrtserver.domain.com
> <mailto:donnysqueue at donnysrtserver.domain.com> which is delivered to
> your RT server. Your alias for this email should forward it to RT's
> mail handler (this is a web service, but not sure of the URL structure
> off the top of my head).
>
>   Setup a contact in exchange to forward donnysqueue at domain.com
> <mailto:donnysqueue at domain.com> to
> donnysqueue at donnysrtserver.domain.com
> <mailto:donnysqueue at donnysrtserver.domain.com>
>
> You can get funkier by automatically setting up new emails based upon
> queue name etc as we have, but it's not necessary to make it work.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Herrmann
>
> Far Edge Technology
>
> p. 02 84251400
>
> m. 0403 393309
>
> http://www.faredge.com.au

Thanks for all the input everyone. I ended up installing the rt-mailgate
on our postfix machine and just letting it handle all the forwarding to
the other machine. I have a basic system setup and functioning. Now I am
evaluating what all "features" we need to enable on the RT box. I do
appreciate all the input and various ways that was suggested. I just
figured that this was the easiest with minimal configuration needed.

Donny B.