[rt-users] Setup RT with existing postfix on separate server

Chris Herrmann chris.herrmann at faredge.com.au
Thu Mar 17 18:29:16 EDT 2011

Hi Donny,

I'm not clear if we're using a similar type of setup to what you're referring to, but I'll fill in how we do it and hopefully it'll help you...

We have:

-         RT box running exim. Exim is setup to smarthost through our front facing mail server, and to integrate with RT queue names. It has a local dnsname of hostname.faredge.com.au .

-         Qmail frontend server which is configured to forward any matching mails for the specific aliases to queuename at ourrtserver, and handles external mail. It also forwards any messages for exchange users to the exchange server.

-         An Exchange server which has contacts setup for each queue in question so that a message for "Queue" is correctly forwarded through to queuename at ourrtserver. The exchange domain is the local windows domain (as opposed to "faredge.com.au")

It's a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but is in place mainly for historical reasons and as it works well so far there and hasn't introduced a huge overhead there's no great pressure to change it.

So Donny, I'm not sure about the postfix side of what you're trying to do - basically make sure you have aliases that relate to each queue that live at your RT server for example:

donnysqueue at donnysrtserver.domain.com<mailto:donnysqueue at donnysrtserver.domain.com> which is delivered to your RT server. Your alias for this email should forward it to RT's mail handler (this is a web service, but not sure of the URL structure off the top of my head).
  Setup a contact in exchange to forward donnysqueue at domain.com<mailto:donnysqueue at domain.com> to donnysqueue at donnysrtserver.domain.com<mailto:donnysqueue at donnysrtserver.domain.com>

You can get funkier by automatically setting up new emails based upon queue name etc as we have, but it's not necessary to make it work.

Regards,

Chris Herrmann
Far Edge Technology

p. 02 84251400