[rt-users] Upgrading from RT 3.6.2 to RT 4.0.4

Sean McDaid seanmcdaid2000 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 08:34:37 EST 2011

Hello,

I'm am working on upgrading from RT 3.6.4rc2 to RT 4.0.4.

I am having some difficulties with the sequence of instructions provided in
README, UPGRADING.mysql and version upgrades (UPGRADING-3.6, UPGRADING-3.8
and UPGRADING-4.0).

Even though I have MySQL version 4.1 but as I am running RT 3.6 I must
follow the procedure outlined in UPGRADING.mysql.

This tells me to follow the instruction in README up to point 6b. In README
step 2 I have to run "./configure", do I run this with default options or
specify: "--with-db-database=rt3" (to point to my current database)?

After this I fix all the required dependencies.

I skip README 6a as I am upgrading, instead I follow README 6b where I run
"make upgrade", which works.

After "make upgrade" it tells me to run "make upgrade-database" which tries
to connect to rt4 database (with ./configure default) or rt3 database if I
used "--with-db-database=rt3", both of these fail with:
   "Access denied for user 'rt_user'@'localhost' to database 'rt3'" OR
"Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'" (if I used root)
I guess I missed something which caused this failure. Any ideas?

It then directs me back to UPGRADING.mysql step 4 which tells me to apply
"Apply the RT 3.8 schema upgrades.". Is this "etc/upgrade/
upgrade-mysql-schema.pl"?

Are these steps correct? Or is there a worked example of an upgrade frmo
RT3 to RT4?

Also at what point am I supposed to apply the changes outlined in
UPGRADING-3.6,
UPGRADING-3.8 and UPGRADING-4.0?

Thanks for any help!
Sean