[rt-users] rt-4.0.5 - How to populate a custom field using a web service?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Mon Feb 6 16:42:48 EST 2012

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 11:32:47AM -0500, Jim Lesinski wrote:
>    There seems to be a lot of confusion about what I am asking. I am sorry if I am not making
>    myself clear. Please check out the attached image which shows exactly what I am looking at.
>    Maybe I am interpreting it wrong, but the field Jeff describes is not the one I am asking
>    about. I am referring to the field below it called "Include Page" which states:
>
>    "RT can include content from another web service when showing this custom field. Fill in this
>    field with a URL. RT will replace __id__ and __CustomField__ with the record's id and the
>    custom field's value, respectively. Some browsers may only load content from the same domain
>    as your RT server."
>    This seems to imply to me that the custom field can in fact include values from a web service.
>    Or does this mean that it can render content in an iFrame or something? If someone can clarify
>    what that field does I think that would be all I need.

This means that you can render content into an iframe using the value
of the custom field.

If your user selected "Foo" from a custom field, RT can make a call to
an external webservice with Foo and some other information and then
iframe the data into Ticket/Display.html (assuming you don't violate
any of the security restrictions on iframes).

If you want to control the values of a custom field, you will need to
read the docs/extending/external_custom_fields.pod document you
referenced earlier.

-kevin