[rt-users] Infinite loop of ticket creation

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Nov 7 10:12:31 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 10:39:21AM +0100, Robert Wysocki wrote:
> Dnia 2012-11-06, wto o godzinie 14:02 -0500, Kevin Falcone pisze:
> > You can delete the email address from the user of that system (leaving
> > their username set to the email address) which means RT will never
> > send them email.
>
> Leaving aside the original issue - why is that? Is this behavior
> hardcoded or is it a question od default scrips?

When email comes in, RT loads by the email address and looks for that
email address in the EmailAddress field and then in the Name field.

When email goes out, RT already has the user, and fetches the
EmailAddress to send them mail.  Since it's blank, it skips the user.

That's why this particular trick works.

There are probably 5 other ways email might not go out via RT (user
preference, ticket squelching, transaction squelching, etc) but this
covers the old failthful trick I described above.

-kevin