[rt-users] Infinite loop of ticket creation

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Nov 7 12:17:43 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 09:54:53AM +0000, Giuseppe Sollazzo wrote:
> I guess that the reason is that there are two systems, A and B.
> We are A and use RT.
>
> B is configured to send a confirmation e-mail whenever it receives
> anything from A.
> A sends a print-out of the e-mail it receives to B.
>
> Specifically, it's about the "resolve" message, but I presume the same
> applies also to "correspondence" if configured to send out e-mails at
> each message.
>
> Not sure what system uses B, it might be RT as well or something similar.
>
> I'm surprised this doesn't affect more people.

People often make their 'talks to remote system' queues not use as
many autoreplies.  Also, many external systems retain enough state in
the headers for RT to detect the loop (RT sets a number of bear traps
for these emails).

You could also try marking the precedence of the Resolved email lower
(RT's emails have a configurable Precedence which defaults to bulk
from DefaultMailPrecedence).  Lower precedence mail is often not
replied-to (see RT's handling of bulk precedence email with
RedistributeAutoGeneratedMessages).  Alternately, you could use the
Auto-submitted header that Autoreply uses to call out that you don't
need a reply.

-kevin