[rt-users] Web server clarification

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Tue Apr 16 17:59:42 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM, Jessica Reuter
<jessicawriter85 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have RT and its database installed and running properly, but now I need
> to set up the web server. I'm quite confused on how to do that, even with
> the readme -- it's really just given me more questions than answers. If
> anyone could help me out with a few of these questions, I'd really
> appreciate it.
>
> 1. What's the difference between the standalone server and the apache
> server?

standalone server is a pure perl HTTP server that you can use to play with
RT. Go with apache in production.

> 2. Which type of server should you use for development and testing versus
> production?

standalone is perfect in development, one command line and server is up and
running, no need to configure apache. RT core developers use it all the
time.

> 3. Is the standalone server integrated into apache?

no.

> 4. Can you have a standalone RT server and an apache server on the same
> box? If so, how?

Yes, you can. Standalone server by default start on higher port. I wouldn't
recommend to use production as play ground. It's so easy to  pick wrong
configuration and start playing with production DB without noticing.

> 5. How do you handle big attachments with the web server? It looks like
> the possible size got diminished from the last version.

More context on this question, please.

6. Are there any step-by-step walkthroughs out there that are clearer than

Have you read http://bestpractical.com/rt/docs/latest/web_deployment.html ?

--
Best regards, Ruslan.