[rt-users] Migration Prep

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Jul 25 12:32:39 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 08:36:43PM -0700, Paul O'Rorke wrote:
>    From what I've read it seems that the best approach might be to:
>
>     1. make a clone of the existing RT,
>     2. upgrade it to 4.0.13
>     3. do a mysqldump on the upgraded clone
>     4. restore the dump on the new server.

Since you have a new server, upgrading should be easy, if something
fails, you just start again on the new server.  You're not in any way
touching production until the final cutover.

I always:

Install RT 4.0.14 on the new server
mysqldump the old server
import on the new server
run make upgrade-database
test
turn off the old server
do a final dump, import, upgrade
go forth and rejoice.

>    It's the details of step 4 I'm concerned about.  If I set up the database on the new server
>    and restore it from the dump do I then use make upgrade on the new server?  I don't understand
>    what the right process would be to make sure the new server has mailgate, users etc and can
>    accept the dump.

You have to copy things like cron jobs and your mailgate config.
I don't understand what you mean by 'users etc and can accept the
dump'?

If you want to create a very empty DB on the rt4 host, run

/opt/rt4/sbin/rt-setup-databas --action create,acl
then restore your dump

You don't say what docs you've reviewed, but I frequently recommend to
the list our upgrading and README rather than any third party guides
as well as this quite old but still surprisingly relevant blog post I
wrote.

http://blog.bestpractical.com/2011/07/upgrading-to-rt-4.html

-kevin