[rt-users] RES: Is it possible to specify a different user with RT CLI ?

Jean-Christophe Boggio rt-users at thefreecat.org
Mon Jun 17 11:42:18 EDT 2013

Ruslan,

> Well, it doesn't explain need to abuse Type and Instance. Above
> description unclear on what is "bookmarked ticket". Last value makes no
> sense - if user commented on 20 tickets within last 24 hours then 15 of
> them are not "bookmarked", so 15 tickets are not bookmarked by this
> user, but he updated them within 24 hours. I think you should start from
> more formal spec and try it on paper first for several cases.

Sorry for being unclear. We want to keep track on who is working on what tickets in order to (re)dispatch the tasks :
- some users will "think" they can manage 10 tickets at a time
- some tickets are not being taken care of
- some tickets are being worked on by several users at the same time

So we asked our users to "bookmark" the ones they do work on but it's tedious and they often forget.

So we want to automate the process : every time someone comments a ticket, we will add this ticket number to his "MRU" (Most Recently Used). We consider that if he comments a ticket, he's working on it.
We have a maximum number of tickets worked on by one user (say 5 for example). When he comments a ticket and he already has 5, the oldest will become "available" for someone else to take care of it.

Simplified SQL implementation would look like :
- adding a bookmark (not taking care of working twice on the same ticket) :
  DELETE FROM attributes where name='Bookmarks' AND objectid=<userid> AND instance >= 5
  UPDATE attributes SET instance=instance+1 WHERE name='Bookmarks' AND objectid=<userid>
  INSERT INTO attributes (name,objectid,instance,content) VALUES ('Bookmarks',<userid>,1,<ticketid>)
- find duplicates :
  SELECT ticketid,objectid FROM attributes WHERE name='Bookmarks'

Currently, finding "open unbookmarked tickets" means reading all attributes with name "Bookmarks" and parse the values in perl.
Finding tickets "bookmarked" by two users (they work on the same problem at the same time which we want to avoid) requires the same workload.
We have several screens dedicated to displaying these informations in realtime (updated every 10seconds).

I admit this would be made simpler by using the "Owner" field but it is a slightly different approach :
- they can have more than 5 tickets assigned
- the assigners sometimes assign tickets to the bad person
- the priorities do not always fit the scenario : if the helpdesk has the user on the phone, they will try to resolve the problem ASAP.
- we want the 2 approaches

Hope this helps clarifying the way we work.