[rt-users] IE8 issues - Custom Fields and edit screens - updated

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Tue Nov 19 21:08:38 EST 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 19:38 -0500, Parish, Brent wrote:
> I experienced an issue with 4.2.0 working with editing dashboards.
> [snip]  Then you(?) released a single line patch (in
> share/static/js/forms.js) and that fixed IE10 but IE8 still exhibits
> that same behavior for me.

I am unable to replicate the failure on a clean 4.2.1 with IE8.  I
suspect IE8 is caching -- it has a number of overzealous layers of
caching.  Clear your local caches and try again.

> Now I'm guessing the custom field thing has to do with jQuery and IE8
> in general.

jQuery is not involved, as it happens.  The calls use direct DOM
manipulation -- shifting to using jQuery might very well resolve the
problem, as jQuery has a number of abstractions which paper over browser
bugs like this.

The specific cause is known -- you can read the issues.bestpractical.com
ticket for details if you're curious, or want to test and propose a
patch.

 - Alex