[rt-users] Could not load a valid user

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Thu Apr 9 09:01:41 EDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 12:34:33PM +0000, Daniel Moore wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an issue where we keep getting emails for ONE particular email that says "Cannot load a valid user".
>
> I have already added this "user" into RT. I have even deleted and re-added him (I deleted it from the SQL database and ensured no reference to it all was in RT). He is back in the system.
>
> I have configured my RT_SiteConfig.pm three different ways with no avail.
>
> Set( $ValidateUserEmailAddress, 1); "current setting"
>
> #Set( $ValidateUserEmailAddress, 0); "previous setting"
>
> Set( $ValidateUserEmailAddress, 0); "original setting"
>
> I do not know why this is still happening even though I have tried to turn this off. I originally set it up because this was new to our organization (this version) and we had a lot of "junk" emails getting through. I thought I had turned this off by commenting it out.
>
> This only effects ONE email address (that I know of) and it happens every day.
>
> Is there a way to permanently turn this off so that it doesn't validate users?
>
> Oh, and this user has administrator privileges in RT so user rights are not a problem. This is our IT email address.

Hi Daniel,

When we have seen this error, it was the result of our CanonicalizeEmailAddress
function in User_Local.pm (in 3.8.x). Run through that functions logic to determine
where the problem is. In our case, the problem was caused by user primary Email
address changes. The permissions of the account do not matter since the cause is
the failure to determine the correct Email address. I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ken