[rt-users] Escaping '<' and '>' in comments/replies and canned responses.

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Wed Apr 20 08:56:57 EDT 2016

I've run into several issues in RT with the use of greater than '>' and
less than '<' symbols in RT.

One issue that I run into with some regularity is pasting the default mysql
prompt into a ticket. For example, if I paste the following into a reply:

mysql> select CURRENT_DATE;
+--------------+
| CURRENT_DATE |
+--------------+
| 2016-04-20   |
+--------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

The first line is hidden, as if it were text quoted from a previous comment
or reply.

By and large, I simply try to avoid using un-paired '<' and '>' characters
in replies, but I just ran into the following issue in a canned response:

The following text in the canned response editor:

<item>"<<biblio.title>>" by <<biblio.author>>, <<issues.date_due>>,
Barcode: <<items.barcode>> </item>

Renders as

"<>" by <>, <>, Barcode: <>

When I view it in Display.

I tried using '\<' and '\>' to escape the greater than and less than
symbols; that didn't work... using html entities did work,, but ... meh.

Are there any rules for escaping '<' and '>', and, more generally, is there
any documentation about how RT renders comments/replies and articles?

Thanks,

--Barton