[rt-users] Best web server for RT4?

Alex Hall ahall at autodist.com
Fri Sep 2 09:01:38 EDT 2016

Thanks for the very helpful reply. No, I didn't know about rt4-fcgi, nor
the update command. Unfortunately, even after running that command, the
stand-alone server still thinks it's supposed to use SQLite3 and the
default database name, for some reason. I even restarted the
request-tracker4 service.

Where are the docs you mentioned? I searched for "request tracker debian",
but got only unhelpful results. There's an RT set up for Debian itself; a
wikia.com page that is broken, an install guide for RT3.6 that never
mentions the rt4-fcgi package, and so on. The package details page for
rt4-fcgi itself doesn't seem to give any usage instructions, unless I'm
missing them (possible when using a screen reader, though unlikely).
Specifically, I'm not sure how to tell it to use 127.0.0.1:8485, or
whatever port I set in the RT site file for Nginx. Are there other commands
that will be useful?

Installing from source got quite confusing. I've never used Perl, so had to
configure the CPAN first, and wasn't sure how to answer the questions it
asked. Then the make testdeps command didn't work, so I had to manually
look through the (very long) list of dependencies, find one that was
missing, and try to install it manually. That installation process then got
rather confusing, with a few packages not going smoothly at all. Finally, I
found there was a pre-built package already made, and the installation for
that was a breeze. Of course, I'm now stuck with a stubborn configuration
that isn't letting any RT server start, so I suppose it's six of one and a
half dozen of the other. Still, I think this odd configuration problem will
be much easier to solve.

--
Alex Hall
Automatic Distributors, IT department