[rt-users] Enabling extensions in RT4.2.8?

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Fri Sep 23 11:34:05 EDT 2016

Hi Alex,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 7:07 AM, Alex Hall <ahall at autodist.com> wrote:
> Strange... I get an exit code of 255 on my FCGI server with the extension
> enabled.

Hmmm. Enabling extensions shouldn't be too complicated. There is
nothing tricky going on.

 If I comment out the lines in my Plugins file and update
> siteconfig, I get no error code, but the server immediately quits silently.
> There's nothing in any log to tell me what's going on, at least that I can
> find.

Is there a foreground option for your FCGI server?

Run it through strace?

strace -f /some/path/to/your/fcgi-server

 RT was working perfectly until I installed and enabled the
> PriorityAsString extension, though I don't know if the install itself or the
> attempt to modify my settings did it.

Check the actual siteconfig file after running your update-rt-siteconfig.

% view /etc/request-tracker4/RT_SiteConfig.pm

and see if the PriorityAsString is commented out or not.

> Is there a way to remove an extension so I can start over?

You'd remove the files on disk. I'm not sure if the makefile that is
generated has an uninstall target.

Now that we're talking about it, did you use the RTHOME variable to
set your RT libs when generating the makefile for the extension?

% tar xvfz some-rt-extension.tar.gz
% cd some-rt-extension
% RTHOME=/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib perl Makefile.PL

 I installed using
> the commands on its homepage, not CPAN, so I don't know if that caused a
> problem. I don't see any uninstall/remove commands on the plugin's page, but
> maybe there's a standard way using Perl commands that I don't know?

If there were a standard way, then it would be the makefile that gets
generated would have an uninstall target.

-m