[Rtir] hello, and RTIR installation

John Green j.green at ukerna.ac.uk
Mon May 31 06:49:18 EDT 2004

Bruce Rodger wrote:
> Unfortunately we didn't realise this until after building rt & rtir - these
> are running on pgsql, and the RIPE whois db needs mysql. Sigh.

I looked at it a while back and came to the conclusion that RIPE's whois
server was a little bit ott for our usage.

> John - what whois software are you using at janet-cert?

Whois is pretty simple, it just write the options and the IP/hostname to
  port 43 and reads back the results.  We use djb's tcpserver although
inetd/xinetd should do similar and run the IP through a number of
cobbled together perl scripts which perform dns lookups, look up whois
info using a cleverish whois client (jwhois) and lookup contact info.

You may also want to take a look at
http://www.kaizo.org/girona/bgp/aswhois.pl which I wrote to do IP->AS
mapping but should be relatively easy to change for IP->departmental
contact.

Hope this helps
John
JANET-CERT