[svk-devel] Re: Status of SVK trunk on Windows?

David Golden david at hyperbolic.net
Fri Aug 18 14:31:12 EDT 2006

Kevin Light wrote:
> Strawberry Perl has left me in a stuck state as some of SVK's dependencies have dependencies that do not agree with MinGW/Win32.  Really weird stuff like line continuations failing to be recognized as such in one case.  I've been distracted by $Work but I'm hoping to get some time for some poking and asking some questions in the next few days.

Hello.  I should delurk to mention that Strawberry is marked 'alpha'
because of these kinds of issues that have yet to be worked out.  We're
collecting a list of issues on win32.perl.org (See 'Vanilla Perl Problem
Modules').  Please add any others that aren't there already so we know
what needs fixing.

My own research into compiling SVK on Win32 bogged down once I realized
that I needed to get the entire Subversion/SWIG toolchain compiled to
get SVN::Core.  Subversion isn't very MinGW (Strawberry's GCC compiler)
friendly yet.  Google for "subversion mingw" for some posts on the
subject.

Vanilla Build 7 now includes GNU make and Strawberry alpha 2 will as
well (coming "soon").  That may help a bit with Subversion/SWIG,
particularly as Subversion improves its MinGW support.  Or we may need
more of the GNU toolchain (e.g. m4/autoconf).  We'll have to see.

Regards,
David Golden