[svk-devel] Re: Status of SVK trunk on Windows?

G. Richard Bellamy rbellamy at crockernsi.com
Fri Aug 18 17:50:05 EDT 2006

David Glasser <> wrote on Friday, August 18, 2006 11:13 AM:

> So as a really-non-windows person... VC6 is a C compiler that's only
> available by purchase? And this is using some build of Perl
> completely different from Strawberry?

Yes... VC6 is the Microsoft Visual C/C++ Compiler. The main reason Kevin
is trying the Strawberry Perl is because it's using the MinGW compiler.
As soon as one attempts to work with the Microsoft stuff, it gets a bit
complex... Not necessarily because MS is doing things wrong (though many
here would argue that they were); in my opinion it's more because the
Perl community itself is only now showing an interest in being
compilable with the newer versions issued by MS.

Most of the work done to get Perl working in Windows has been done by
the folks at ActiveState, and they've focused almost exclusively on VC6.
That's currently changing (you can find several discussions on the Perl
lists, as well as the newest Makefile for Perl on ActiveState's public
FTF site), but they have run into issues with the way the VC8 compiler
(again, some would argue that it's MS doing evil things again).

I can tell you that both Kevin and I are ready, willing and able to help
manage a smoke server for SVK on Windows. I just decided I would put
something together myself...

I'll need help with the process for building a smoke server for a
Perl-dependent project.

- Richard