[rt-users] Customizing RT 3.0 -- Best Practices?

Russ Roff rroff at stny.rr.com
Wed Feb 18 20:19:54 EST 2004

Hello again, everyone.  I'm stuck.

I love RT, and I think it will do wonders for my organization.  However, I need to customize it signficantly for it to be user-friendly.

I need custom input/modify/display forms for tickets in various queues.  Such as, template forms for various queues (or types of tickets in queues) so that they match the mentality of the input user.

I need to "automate" simple things like adding CC groups.  Such as, check off the boxes of the groups who need to be CC'd on this ticket (instead of searching and adding them them individually).

What I've started to do is create custom ticket/Create.html ticket/Modify.html, etc. forms in order to accomplish this.  I'm thinking of creating a custom start page to link users to these various templates.  However, this seems really cumbersome.  I've not finished one yet, so I don't even know if this will work.

Is there anyone who has accomplished any of this yet, or any "best practices" in doing such a thing?  I want to keep RT as intact as possible, but it's looking more and more like I'll have to unbundle it.  I'm having a real difficult time with perldoc (name the module here) documentation.  It all seems disjointed and uncohesive.  (Nothing against the developers - what I have is still more than I'd expect from a free product..)

Thanks again.