[rt-users] Not understanding initial email config :(

Andy Smith a.smith at ukgrid.net
Wed May 28 12:43:24 EDT 2008

Hi,

 Im new to RT and am trying to configure a pilot system on FreeBSD, using RT 3.6.6. I want to get incoming mail to go to the general
queue (creating a new ticket) but from the documentation Im really not understanding how this is meant to work.

I have the RT server up and running on one server, and we have our live Exim SMTP running on another. On the RT box I have this in the
site config PM file:

Set($MailCommand , 'sendmail');
Set($SendmailArguments , "-bm -- support at test.net");
Set($SendmailPath, "/usr/local/sbin/exim");

and on the Exim box I have installed the RT binaries so I have the rt-mailgate script and put this into the aliases file:

rt-general: "|/usr/local/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue general --action correspond --url http://rt3.test.net/"

Is this really all I have to do?? So far it isnt working, but that doesnt surprise me much as I dont get how this can work :S
However this alias syntax is totally new to me and seems quite odd :S
I did see one or two things written about adding some special config into the exim MTA config file, but I dont really want to
have to modify my live exim MTA config just cos I want to add a new queue to RT.

Anyone that can help me out of my confusion would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance, Andy.